Sunday, November 22, 2009

Why I love Austin!

Austin is the only place I would live in Texas. When I told my family I wanted to move to Austin, they were perplexed. "Why do you want to live somewhere that has dessert and tumbleweeds?" was the question I got from many of my relatives. I told them that it wasn't like that. I told them about the Hill Country but they just couldn't believe it. I mentioned the bluebonnets in spring and the nice warm water. They couldn't picture it. See, we grew up with 8 months of winter (I may exaggerate slightly-let's say 6 months for argument sake) and none of us moved away...until I took the leap and moved across the country. It was like I moved to a foreign country.

Austin is so beautiful! The water, the hills, the city, the green belt. Austin is so odd! The city's slogan is "Keep Austin Weird" (that may be unofficial). We've got a man named Leslie who wears dresses and runs for mayor regularly. There used to be an event called Spamarama that was dedicated to all things Spam. We have a colony of bats under a bridge that is a highlight for visiting tourists. Austin has tons of live music from country to jazz to Tejano and any other genre you can think of.You want food? What kind? We have anything and everything. My husbands favorite? Anything Mexican-any kind of tacos! My favorite? Seafood. We love going out to eat. It's our entertainment.

I also love Austin because I met my husband here. I believe God wanted me to move to Austin to meet him. I had only lived here about a month when we met and that was that. Total God thing! Our children are native Texans. We love our church. To be honest we have thought about moving on occasion. And you are thinking right now..."she just told us how much she loves Austin?" Well, true. But you try living somewhere that had more than 50 days over 100 degrees! I like warm weather but whew! Anyway, one of the reasons we don't leave is because of our church. Riverbend is such a place of grace that we aren't sure we could find that anywhere else. We are so grateful to have such an awesome church family.

If you haven't been here it may be hard for you to picture how wonderful Austin is. The Capitol. Barton Springs. Loop 360 Bridge. The Greenbelt. The Frost Building. Lady Bird Lake. The Broken Spoke. The Wildflower Center. All this and a bunch more. Y'all come see us!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tish - I just noticed on a Christian Mom's email that you had a blog and had to come check you out. Love your posts and honesty!

    I feel the same way about Austin...LOVE IT! I've lived in other paces in Texas and they don't hold a flame. The heat gets me also and we have thought about relocating a time or two but we have the same thought...we would never find another Riverbend! It is so very special!!

    ReplyDelete