Friday, November 20, 2009

What's for Breakfast?

My family loves Cereal! We eat all kinds of it. I even eat it as a dessert at night sometimes. My husband laughs at me because I buy organic or natural cereal but they have sugar in them. Then he teases me by saying "because organic sugar is better than regular sugar, right?" Yes! It is better! At least that is my theory and I am sticking with it.

Here are our some of our favorites:
  • Annie's Homegrown Fruity Bunnies
  • Cascadian Farm Organic Kids Cinnamon Crunch
  • Bear Naked All Natural Peanut Butter Granola (discontinued)
  • EnviroKidz Peanut Butter Panda Puffs
In case you want something more savory, filled with protein and great for house guests, try this recipe I have adapted from Cooks.com. I will add tips throughout and at the end of the recipe.

Breakfast Casserole
approx. 8 slices of bread (can be day old or ends that you've saved in the freezer)
1lb. bacon or sausage (i use turkey b-fast links and squeezed out the sausage from the casing)
1 1/2 cups grated cheese (i have used goat cheese or a cheddar)
10 eggs
3 cups milk (i have used lactose free milk)
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Grease 13 x 9 inch casserole (or baking pan). Tear bread (use enough to fully cover the bottom of pan) and put in casserole. Brown and drain bacon or sausage. Crumble over bread. Sprinkle with cheese. Beat eggs with milk, mustard and seasonings. Pour over mixture in casserole. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Make sure all the liquid has turned into solid.
Best if prepared the night before, cover and refrigerate.
Serves 8-10

I have made this several times and people love it. I'd like to try it with ham.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment