Thursday, November 19, 2009

Green Tips

Here's something you might not know about me...I am passionate about recycling! I am the person who has 2 recycling bins-one for the stuff they pick up on trash day and one to take down to our local recycling station. I put every piece of paper--and I mean every piece of paper --in a brown paper bag for recycling. Newspapers, mail, magazines, writing paper down to tea bag wrappers, tags off new clothes and crayon wrappers. I am also the kind that will take recyclables out of the garbage to keep them from being thrown away. I will take home those little plastic sample cups from the grocery store so I can recycle them. We take our own cups places so we can have water instead of using a plastic bottle or a throw away cup. I have used my own bag at the grocery store way before it was the cool thing to do.

Some people I have talked to about recycling say it's too much of a hassle or too dirty or a waste of time. I suppose it could be but I have some tips to make it easier.

Tips on how to be more GREEN:

1. Recycle your newspapers-easy starting point-no mess just put them in the bin

2. Recycle your plastic water bottles-take off the lid and throw it in the bin-no mess

3. BETTER IDEA-don't use plastic water bottles, take your own cup or coffee mug to work or buy a reusable water bottle to save green & $green.

4. Leave your shopping bags in the car--even better...buy washable reusable bags!

5. Use your brown paper bags to hold your paper recycling

6. Reuse plastic bags-Take a newspaper sleeve with you to walk the dog and pick up his droppings with it. Double bag your new bread with old bread bags before you put it in the freezer. Instead of a diaper disposal system that uses a ton of plastic, bag your diaper up in a grocery bag.

These are just some simple ideas. I hope you try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment