Sunday, December 13, 2009

I have a problem...

I want Christmas to be perfect. I want it not only to be perfect but I want it to be like the Christmases I remember from my childhood. Which is strange because our family Christmases were not perfect. I don't think any ones ever is. But I do have some fond memories.

I loved spending time with my paternal grandparents on Christmas Eve. They picked me up early in the day before anyone else came over. I ran errands with them. We would go to get a hamburger for lunch. I helped out a little bit but I also would lie on their couch watching old movies. We went to church for Christmas Eve services which I particularly loved. It was so nice to have all of their attention. It's one of my best memories.

My mom must have spent DAYS baking every Christmas. We had cut out cookies, coffee cakes, crescent rolls, pecan sandies, butterscotch stars, fruitcake cookies...I can't remember what else but it was all good...except for maybe the fruitcake:) I try to make some of mom's recipes but I also have some of our own favorites. It never feels like enough though.

A lot of my problem is that I want to get my kids everything they want...which this year is especially difficult. I want them to be thrilled and overwhelmed. Of course, we never get them all they want but in the past we have gotten them a lot. Well, this year we are choosing a different way. I hope that they will be happy about all of what we did this season rather than what they get. It is hard. With God's help I am sure we will make it through but there are still feelings to feel and emotions to deal with. God has a different path for us to take this year and It's sometimes hard to swallow...but God's path is always good.

My problem (or problems) can always be solved with God's help.

From the Big Book...
"And acceptance is the answer to all my problems..." p.449 in 3rd edition

From the Bible...
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment