Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Easy but messy holiday treat!

Well, we just finished making a batch of Pretzel Snowmen at our house. They really aren't snowmen but my kids know them by that name. Maybe when they are older they really will be snowmen but for now they are just pretzel rods with melted white chocolate chip glaze and every sort of sprinkle possible! It is something we have adapted for each holiday. At Halloween they are pretzel ghosts and at Easter they are pretzel bunnies.

We love them but WOW! what a mess! The 3 year old joined in today and he kept (don't tell any of the relatives) licking his fingers! Both my 6 year old and my 9 year old fell off their chairs reaching for something! There are sprinkles everywhere and white chocolate glue attached to everything including the chair backs! Plus the bottoms of my socks are very sticky!

But it was great family time together. They love making them. I think they love making them more than eating them...or maybe not...I did catch my oldest eating up the pile of leftover sprinkles. It was fun and fairly inexpensive. I think the Pretzel ghosts will be a tradition for years to come. And a memory that will "stick" with my precious children for a long time.

Pretzel Snowmen

1 bag of Pretzel Rods
1 bag of white chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)
Assorted Sprinkles (red & green sugars & nonpareils, crushed candy canes, etc.)

Melt white chocolate chips in a glass bowl for a minute. Stir to mix. Microwave 15 more seconds or until spreadable. Use a small rubber scraper to "paint" on the chocolate leaving a small unpainted "handle" at the bottom. Decorate and lay on a piece of waxed paper to dry. We have also dried them in coffee mugs so as not to get a flat side. Be aware it takes a lot of mugs and sometimes they stick together. Store in airtight container. They will last for weeks if you don't eat them before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment