Friday, March 9, 2012

More Lent Thoughts

Last week we had an assignment to make amends with an old friend. In the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous it is suggested that after taking an inventory that we make amends to persons we have harmed. This has always been a hard step for me. I have not completed my step work many times because of this particular step. It's hard to admit to someone that you have been wrong.

It really didn't take me long to think of someone. To some people it would have seemed silly and maybe not even worth mentioning but I have been thinking about it for a while. I knew that I was wrong when I took the action but it took me a while to figure out why I had done it. This particular amends was about me wanting someone else to be different--me wanting someone else to change--me thinking that my way was better. I was being judgmental. And in a very, sneaky, nasty kind of way I tried to make them not do what they wanted to do-a kind of peer pressure.

So the point is, I didn't want to make the amends. I tried halfheartedly tried to contact this person. Yes, I used the phone. She lives in another state so I didn't have much choice. She called me back and I wasn't available. So in a few days I called her back. My friend did not remember the circumstance but was very gracious in accepting the apology. She also said some nice things in return. It was a relief.

I don't have to carry this around any longer and I can have a cleaner relationship with my friend. Now when I see her again it won't be so strained. Thank God for forgiveness and mercy and grace. I would be a shadow of the person I am had it not been for God sending His Son to die on the cross for me and to take away my sins. Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment