Sunday, October 24, 2010

Music or Art-which touches your heart?

I was sitting in church today listening to the sermon--mind you I am not sure I remember the real point of it, I might remember later--and Dr. Haney said something about appreciating art. How overwhelmed with feelings he gets looking at beautiful art. I on the other hand just get overwhelmed.

I am not an art gallery type person. It really doesn't interest me. I am also not a museum person. Although the kids and I did go to an exhibit of photographer Chuck Close and it was great. I could stare at his photo for a while. But generally art is not my thing. I appreciate talent and have a few friends that are artists that I really like their work but it doesn't move me.

But Music! Music on the other hand can make me cry in a heartbeat. I didn't cry today but boy Paul Sanchez was amazing. I did feel like he could have done more with the song though. It seemed like he held back or was held back. right when he could have blown me away...bam...the song went soft and it was over. Anyway, I digress. He is awesome but I want more.

Two weeks ago we had some local artists from Austin come and oh, my goodness. Carolyn Wonderland, Guy Forsythe and Shelly King and wow, they didn't hold back. It was amazing. I was moved by their music. They made me feel alive listening to their music. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to go back to the next service and listen all over again.

I cry every time Steve Morris sings. He is amazing and so humble. The last time he sang was when he performed "So much to be Thankful for". It was great. The whole church loves him. I love it when he sings the more operatic pieces. I can't wait until he sings again. The kids choir will be singing with him in December. I told my kids they get to hear my favorite singer!

There are other worship songs that we sing that affect me too. Like "Amazing Grace" and "Great is Thy Faithfulness". I can't remember all of them. I really do hear God in these songs and really feel like I can praise Him. And even when I'm not at church I love listening to music.

Check out some of these songs and artists I mentioned.


No comments:

Post a Comment